Sunday, October 19, 2008

Here and home (by John)

I went to Norway in September for a conference. While there I had the chance to visit Vigeland Park - an 80 acre park displaying over 200 bronze and granite sculptures by Gustav Vigeland. His work bridged all ages and stages of life. Among the sculptures was one I identified with in particular.
I thought, "Hey that is going to be me in a few weeks." Well, the girls have arrived. Rather than the simplicity suggested by the statue, this is what it actually looks like today:
I used to leave the house with a wallet and keys - no longer. Here, upon exiting the hospital, are two diaper bags, a pump, a bag of dirty clothes, a twin boppy, and three bags on wheels. But let's be honest. These are not the pictures you came looking for. I will address some of the questions I have been asked in the last few days:
  • Details: when, where, weights, lengths, etc.
  • What do they look like?
  • Are they identical?
  • Who do they look like?
Details On October 13, Athena was born at 10:51AM weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces and measuring 20 inches. Xena was born at 10:52AM weighing 6 pounds 7 ounces and measuring 19 inches. They held out to a 37-week term, so they had a decent amount of time to develop. What do they look like? Are they identical? Athena is on the left. She has a relatively larger head, rounder ears, fuller eyelids, and a lower bridge on her nose. Both have hair, but fairly thin - no idea if it will stay. Xena's hair is slightly thicker and if not combed gets mad-scientist look.
Their eyes are blue for now. This can change. Here is one of the few glances I could catch from Xena on camera.
Pop quiz Who is this with one of her signature looks? (you have a 50/50 chance) And below is her sister.
Highlight here for the answer -->Athena is above, Xena below<--
Who do they look like? This game will play out over the years. Perhaps in future posts we can dig up pictures of Edna or me as infants and compare. Edna's eyes seem to influence Athena - nose too. My nose is more visible in Xena - eyes too.

20 comments:

Mary Anne said...

WOW! They are darling. Can't wait to see you coming into church with the girls under your arms.

Luella said...

They are beautiful! Congratulations!

Denise said...

They are very cute...well done, you two. And I would agree that baby A looks like Mom and baby X looks like Dad, for now. But mostly they look like two pretty, healthy girls -- and that's the best part. So let's have some names already!

Really, congrats to all of you.

Karisa said...

All we need now are a zillion more pictures!
We are so happy for you guys!

Karisa said...

Wait a minute, you didn't say anything about Edna, or what their real names are!!!

Amber Grannis said...

John, they are beautiful! Congratulations!! Xena does look like you. Isn't that funny how even as brand new as they are, you can start to see yourselves in your kids. Good luck, my friend! I am thrilled to pieces for you.

Anonymous said...

They are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!Congrats to the new mama and papa. What perfect weights!! Edna you sure are a good baby maker! The picture with the two of them is one of the CUTEST pictures I have ever seen. Have fun with those bundles of joy!!

Love,
Char

Tasha said...

Congratulations guys! Better you than me, Edna! I can barely handle one newborn at a time. Good luck with everything.

Tasha

Rosalyn said...

Hi Edna--I found your blog through a link on Tasha's--congratulations on the twins! (I had no idea you were expecting). They look beautiful.

--Rosalyn

Allison said...

Edna, you are amazing! Spencer was my biggest at 7 lb 2 oz and Natalie was 6 lb 7 oz. I can't imagine having them both at the same time. Well done!

30 year-old Dad said...

congrats! say hello to your beautiful girls for us and goodbye to sleep-filled nights.

p.s. i got your email and am not offended.

Mona said...

The mommy vs. daddy looks change 10 days a day but clearly Macy and Camille are beautiful.

Erin said...

I love that you continue to refer to them using their "alter-egos". I have a feeling this will last for a very long time!

Congrats! They sure are cute and cuddly!

Chrissy said...

Congratulations! They are beautiful! Your world has changed forever! )For the better, of course!) My best to you all!

AmyJane said...

Oh my gosh, you have BABIES! I know, it's been forever, but I didn't know you were blogging until I was chatting online with Amber and she told me your big news! Congratulations....I would kind of love to watch you (you being John, I'm sure your wife is amazing) handle this! Kidding of course but...one is a whole lotta work, and I can't imagine two! But such beautiful babies! It'll be more than worth it!

Toria said...

Congratulations on two amazingly sized twins! Edna, you are AMAZING!!! The babes are beautiful, are the war themed names sticking with their personalities outside the womb? I hope they are giving you some rest and that the feeding sleeping mom stuff comes quickly and naturally. They are so so so cute! Congrats, you two will be incredible parents!

Lynita said...

Congrats! It was so great to see them in person. Edna you looked amazing, as usual and I think parenthood suits you well! I hope you are getting some sleep, but if you're not, I hope you enjoy the tender moments!

Henwood family said...

Congratulations Edna and John! We are so happy for you.

cristie said...

We are so proud of you two (but especially Edna--no offense, John). Your girls are amazing, so they obviously take after their parents! We can't wait to figure out which of our sons to betrothe to them. : )

Jeannie Young said...

Congratulations!! They are beautiful babies! So glad they are here and healthy. Enjoy them!