Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Names and the first week

Our daughters are more than a week old now, and are doing great! We totally love them.


We had a little trouble naming them because I've always disliked my name so I didn't want to give my girls weird names. We decided on Camille Katherine (fka Athena) and Macy Elizabeth (fka Xena). John's only serious suggestion was that we name our girls after his twin sisters Camille and Maryanne who were stillborn (though he was still suggesting "Moki" and "Mogli" as we were filling out papers). I like the name Macy, so we substituted that for Maryanne. We then realized that Camy and Macy are anagrams....then debated whether that was a good idea. We gave them middle names so that they would have nick name options and could sort of choose their own names in a few years. For now we are calling them Camy and Macy.


Both girls are happy babies, fuss very little, and love to cuddle. Camy is most often awake and loves to interact, much like Athena. Macy sleeps more, loves using her hands, and likes to snuggle, like Xena. As I suspected, both girls sleep with their elbows sticking out, just like their Dad.


Monday we had our postpartum visit where our girls and I were assessed. John was prepared with a full report of how many diapers and bottles of what sorts and when, with daily averages and standard deviations. The nurse was quite impressed. The girls are maintaining their weights, and we have a plan to help them gain weight. I've lost 50 pounds in the last two weeks and am quickly recovering.


Wednesday had our first visit to the pediatrician. The girls are almost back up to their birth weights, and we are trying to decide what to do about our tongue tied little Camy. For John and me the strangest part of the visit was when the nurse asked to see the patients- Camille and Macy. It was odd to hear them referred to as separate individuals, no longer part of me.


Here are a few pictures from the first days at home.


Camy and Macy sleeping, and Camy's and Macy's Halloween costumes




John's response to above bunny suits "Hi. I'm John and I completely disapprove of this." He also asked that I include this video to point out the inappropriateness of bunny suits.




More Camy shots


For those of you who can't get enough pictures of these two, check out this link and this link. Because we are fanatical penny-pincher's and refuse to pay the subscription fee, these are only available for a limited time.

14 comments:

Mona said...

There are so cute and alert and I am in awe. hugs

Jen said...

They are adorable! You guys look great too (especially that one pic that was titled Finally Home - Edna, you look fantastic! Can't believe you just had twins!). I know how much work one little guy is, I can only imagine how much work two at the same time is! Looks like you are all doing a great job. We're excited for you.

Rosalyn said...

Edna,

I'm so glad your babies are doing well! Jeni and Jared (unfortunately) don't have blogs, but they're both doing well. Jared is in SLC with his wife and two kids, and Jeni is in Springville with her three. (It's funny to me that I'm the oldest but I was the last to have kids . . .) Anyway, I hope all goes well with the twins! Where's Ned at these days?

Luella said...

I love the names you picked, seriously cute. They are beautiful. Enjoy the newborn stage as much as you can, it goes so fast!

Nathan and Sarah said...

These girls are just too cute! We love seeing the pictures! We are also glad to hear that everyone is doing well.

Nate and Sarah

Sister Mullen said...

Thanks for every picture and every word. We are hanging on them all! What a beautiful, beautiful sight Camy and Macy are, so dear. I hope you will save the "reports". It will be fun for the girls to see someday and give them a little insight into their father, at least at this stage of his life. Side note: If only we could all retain the flexibility we have at birth, pretty amazing.
By the way, I've already downloaded all the pictures from the links, so I'm safe as are the pictures in case anything happens to yours. What I haven't done is label mine yet, something I must do quickly because this could all get confusing fast. Thanks again and keep those pictures coming :)

Denise said...

Such cute girls! Can't wait to hold them.

Jeannie Young said...

So glad to hear everything is going well. They sure are cute baby girls! I like the names you picked too. Enjoy them, they don't stay tiny very long!

Karisa said...

Love every picture and all your news! Thanks so much for sharing. We love the names too! I can't believe you lost 50 pounds already! You'd probably feel like you could float right up in the sky now without all that weight (except that you're really sore). Congratulations!

Lynita said...

So fun to see so many cute pictures! I love it, they are so adorable and look very happy. I am still in awe at how you are managing both girls, one is a lot of work for me!

Amanda said...

Your girls are so pretty! I love the names you chose. We have a Camille and planned to call her Cammie until she came out looking and acting like a Camille. I like your spelling of Camy. And the name Macy I love. It's a name you don't hear very often but is so pretty.

Enjoy them!

Mary Kalree said...

Daily averages AND standard deviations? Ryan's going to be excited even parenting can be nerdy. We'll send you the stats on our next kid and you can do research analysis of the effects of New York versus Texas environment. Oh yeah, your girls are adorable!

Allison said...

So adorable! I cracked up good at the Christmas Story video. Your girls are a little more darling than that.

Kate said...

I would love to see a picture of what the girls look like now. Babies change so fast-- just one (or two)pics would be great. Hope all is well.