Sunday, January 27, 2008

Remodeling

Since we bought our apartment last summer, our lives have been dedicated to remodeling. It has been tons of fun, and now that we are almost done, we both feel like we sort of wish we still have more to do. Once we are done we will send out our official "we have moved, come visit us!" letter. Here is some of the recent progress we've made..... DINING ROOM This is what we started with. It gets much worse before it gets better. Notice the lack of French doors, the holes on the wall from John ripping the mirror off, and all the marks from where I'd ripped off the old mouldings. This picture is WEEKS later, after much sanding, puttying, sanding, puttying, installing doors, etc. Looks like it took five minutes, huh? This is more weeks later. More sanding, puttying, electrical work, cleaning, etc. Painting is a satisfying job. This is a few hours later, but it looks much better.

FRONT ROOM

Someday we will probably wish we still had a table saw in the front room. The front room went through all the same stages as the dining room. This is where it is now, except that I've painted the front door. There are earlier pictures of the front room and living room at http://flickr.com/photos/4j/sets/72157603416732470/ WORKER BEES We have had A LOT of help in our little project.....

Liz putting up our crown moulding (how many of us are lucky enough to have a little sister who is a professional carpenter? One of these days maybe my plumber brother will visit, too!) She also helped me carry in all the mouldings (they were more than a mile in total length). We thought that the delivery guys would do that- what a surprise! I'm glad she stopped to pose while holding like 30 lbs. of wood over her head. Boy, were we dead at the end of the day. We also did alot of painting. Thomas making some precision cuts. We will forever be greatfull that he persuaded us to buy a paint gun. Hailey really put in the elbow grease John after sanding the dining room Me painting the dining room I don't have pictures of Dave, the electricians, the carpeter, or the handiman (though I wish I had a picture of his face when he caught our window on fire- woah!!) This is my collection of all the outlet covers from our house. Funny that there are only two or three that match any other plate.

3 comments:

Allison said...

Wow! Edna, that looks so great. It's always amazing to see the before and after. Plus, since I actually did see the before I truly understand how much better the after looks. Great job!

Lynita said...

I can't believe how much work you have done, it looks incredible! I love the collection of outlet covers, so funny!

Greg said...

wow, that is inspiring. Hey can I have the cover plate third from the left and 2 up? (just kidding! :))