Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Women in Business Conference

This last weekend I went to Utah for BYU's first annual Women in Business Conference. I've been working with a few other women (and an extremely supportive crew at BYU) to organize this event for about a year and a half. It was fantastic and exceeded our expectations. I absolutely enjoyed it!
The event was filled to capacity- 250 women, including many great friends that I haven't seen in years. Getting the chance to reconnect with these women was the highlight of the conference for me. I found it inspiring to see a large and varied group women who are smart, hardworking, focused on the gospel, and happy. Though many of us are often criticized for pursuing careers and many have not had the ideal major life events (thus leading our pursuit of career), this didn't really come out. The focus was on the good we can do and how we can support each other.
I meet Whitney Johnson (author of my favorite blog)- she is just as wonderful in person as she is in her blog.
I also spent time with my family. I'm realizing both that I am more like my family than anyone else, and that I also like my family more than anyone else. They/we are hilariously fun.
And with the weekend theme of strong, smart, good women, I spent Sunday with my Grandma. She is 93, but still active and sharp. She was just as lucky as I am in finding a great husband who supported all of her crazy schemes. He supported her decision to go to graduate school in Boston when they had 3 young kids (in the 50's); he never pushed her to join the church that he loved (though she eventually did); and he cared for her through all of her health problems. With her, too, I saw more of myself in her than I have before.
Then I came home to my little girls and my husband. Despite the tantrums, dirty laundry, dirty dishes, and other household work, I am so glad to be home with my family....but excited for next year's conference!

No comments: