Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Amazing perspective

I read a NY times article that I would recommend to most. In it the author refers to children by saying, "I have never even idly thought for a single passing second that it might make my life nicer to have a small, rude, incontinent person follow me around screaming and making me buy them stuff for the rest of my life". But later in the article he wonders, "there are also moments when some part of me wonders whether I am not only missing the biological boat but something I cannot even begin to imagine — an entire dimension of human experience undetectable to my senses..." And so in my adventures with two small incontinent people, I have seen a few things that I have found in the "dimension of parenting" (a dimension not too far from the twilight zone). Like this picture Snow is many things: it's cold, white, can be made into balls or shoveled, but that is not what you see in Macy's face. Snow is magical and fun and new. Parents get to see that daily with snow, bubbles, cardboard boxes, electrical sockets or leaves. And to have the chance to have two unique rediscoveries with each experience is a great bonus. Camy enjoyed touching the snow while Macy enjoyed walking through the snow.

3 comments:

Sister Mullen said...

What wonderful pictures. They capture the girls' delight so well. You are right, everything is new when you see it again through the eyes of your children.

Kate said...

That is a great picture of Macy pointing at the snow!

Mona said...

Children are a blessing...love this post