Sunday, September 07, 2008

Week 32

Week 32

Once again, here is the requested self portrait. I’m huge. Six more weeks is the plan.


Sunday School: Riches

So today in church we had a discussion in Sunday School on the morality of wealth. John and I often discuss this topic as we are both passionate about personal financial planning, and know many wonderful people with different perspectives. Hypothetically, should we always live a middle-class life-style, even if we have excess money someday (John’s yo-yo career could really pick up any day now. Seriously, he has some amazing yo skills.)? What should we do with our excess when we have more than we need? How do we decide what we need? We still haven’t figured out much.


I have gathered a few ideas, and I wanted to make a comment in Sunday School but decided to cut it short when I couldn't breath well enough to talk- I think Xena sits where I once kept my lungs. What I wanted to say was that money is amoral- though lack of or a supply of money can limit or un-limit our ability to act.


Growing up I knew many families where the parent(s) worked long hours to provide for the physical needs of the family. I decided I wanted to increase my possibility of staying at home with my children so I pursued a career that pays well. If I ever needed to work I could work as little as possible and spend more time at home. I also started a savings account that could be my stay-at-home-mom fund. Sure, many women decide that I’ve waited to get married or to have kids so I could have a career, that I’m too concerned with money, or that I work so I can have nice stuff, but why listen to people who don’t understand what they’re talking about?


I also really like the perspective of Bob Gay in his April 2002 speech at the Marriott School Convocation. The phase “all the love in the world and a few hundred thousand dollars are going to build the next chapel” has stuck with me for a few years.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm repenting of ever telling Sonia that it would be easier to have twins than be pregnant twice. That picture looks uncomfortable.

We have had discussions about wealth also and came to pretty much the same conclusion, that wealth is not the problem, it is what we do with it. Hopefully, we can all be fantastically wealthy and use those resources to benefit those in need and to further good causes without suffering the corrosive effects of privilege.

I enjoyed the speech, but I would guess the cost of a new chapel has inflated significantly past a "few hundred thousand dollars."

Lynita said...

I am still impressed that you are smiling in this picture! You look great, although a little burdened down, but you make it seem so easy to have two at once.
I love the idea of extra money one day, and we plan on having some eventually. I think we need to discuss more in depth what we will do with extra money though.
I think you were smart for your career choice, and I love the stay at home mom savings! I of course chose a different path, but you are right no one else has the right to tell you that your motives and choices are wrong! Besides it looks like you get to have double the blessings right off!

Sarah said...

I loved that article. You guys are full of awesome info. Too bad you are in NY, you and I should hang out together, then maybe we wouldn't appear so big. My favorite line so far is, "you are getting so big, haven't they moved your due date up yet?" I wish that was how it worked. But, from one twin mom to another, you really do look great.

Allison said...

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not pregnant right now! I'd rather see how adorably pregnant you look, recognizing that you have to be uncomfortable. I also love your comments because I really agree that you should never care about what other people think when they don't have any idea.

Jeannie Young said...

Sounds like you are doing well and you look great for having twins! I hope the next few weeks go well for you, especially with the bed rest, that can't be easy! I can't wait to see your cute girls. Good luck!