Tuesday, March 02, 2010

New Things

(Edna) Growing up I spent many, many hours over many years running parts in my dad's metal lathe. It was not glamorous or exciting work, but it was work, and paid for a few years of college. My first contact with John was during these college years, and I never would have thought that some day he would use this lathe. But last week, with a bit of coaching from my dad, he did. It was fun to share a bit of my earlier life with John!

(John) Last week we were in UT. While visiting Edna's family, her dad was kind enough to lend me the manual to his metal lathe. After learning some basics, I designed a chess piece to be turned on the lathe. Glenn helped set up and check my work. Out of the scrap piece of aluminum he had on hand, these two pieces came out:

Camy and Macy love putting them in their mouths - they are just the right size...

9 comments:

Sister Mullen said...

Impressive. I seen items done on a wood lathe but never any made from metal. They really are lovely.

Nathan and Sarah said...

That is SO cool! Way to go John.

Nathan said...

Very cool.

Lauren M said...

They look great! Good job!

Kate said...

Those look really impressive! Very cool!

Denise said...

Learning the trick to the lathe will help make your kids Pinewood Derby champs of the future! Way to go...

Lynita said...

Wow that is awesome that you made those John! I think it is great that Camy and Macy came up with their own use for them too! Your kids are smart and creative just like both of you!

Bryant said...

Wow, those look awesome!!! I want to see the knight!

Joel said...

Beautiful metal pacifiers. If they were steel they'd be an excellent source of iron.